The current station was opened on 20 July 1846 by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock & Ayr Railway. Two years later it was connected to Ardrossan via Irvine and on to Carlisle via Dumfries & Gretna Junction in 1850.
Constructed from 1843 to 1850, the Kilmarnock railway viaduct – with its twenty three distinctive arches – crosses the town centre and enabled the Glasgow – Kilmarnock line to continue to Carlisle.
Over the last few years, Kilmarnock Station has seen a dramatic transformation due to the Kilmarnock Station Railway Heritage Trusts successful redevelopment of the station which now houses the Glasgow & South Western Railway Association archives.
Kilmarnock places to visit.
Loudoun Hill is a volcanic plug in East Ayrshire located about twelve miles from the station and is famous for the historical battle which took place there in 1307 when