The route between Dumfries and Annan comprises of three stations – Dumfries, Annan and Gretna Green.
The history of the Dumfries to Gretna Green line lies in the early 19th century bid to create a railway link from Glasgow via Kilmarnock and Dumfries to Carlisle where it would join the English railway network.
Annan was opened by the Glasgow, Dumfries & Carlisle Railway which was then operated by the Glasgow & South Western Railway and finally became part of the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923. With nationalisation in 1948, it was passed on to British Railways. A second track was re-instated in 2008 to deal with increased traffic – mainly sue to train loads of imported coal from the deep water terminal at Hunterston to power stations in East Midlands and West Yorkshire.
Gretna Green was closed on 6 December 1965 and subsequently sold. It was re-opened in September 1993 by British Rail with just a single platform. When the line to Annan was restored to double track in August 2008, the second platform came into use.
Abellio ScotRail currently operate this line.